Introducing Mel Connell | Design Team 2014




Hi!, I'm Mel.
I just wanted to introduce myself a little bit. I have been creating, teaching and working in the paper craft industry for about 12 years now. I have always been creative, since I was tiny, and completed a Fine Arts Degree at Uni along the way.

I love all aspects of this craft and am passionate about making beautiful things. I'm not sure I have a seriously defined style to my work, I go from heavily embellished medium driven work to very simple and clean layouts in the same week. I create layouts, cards, ATC's, and off the page projects, and have just recently been caught by the Project Life/pocket page style of scrapbooking, but primarily my go to is layouts.

I live with my partner Lawley and our two fur baby kitties Olive and Scarlett, which I'm sure over the year you all see plenty of photos of them. The four of us all live in the Burbs of sunny Perth, Western Australia. By day I am a Rental Coordinator for a busy Mining water pump company, but by night that is when this creative little bug gets her groove on.

onto Mel's first project


Welcome to my very first blog post as part of the 2014 Couture Creations Design Team. 
Firstly I want to thank the Panel for choosing me to be part of this adventure over the next twelve months, and I am so thrilled and excited to be working along side Kerrie and all the other ladies on the team this year. 

So when my Design Team kit arrived I was overwhelmed and delighted with my box full of goodies and had a hard time deciding where to start. So I went with what I loved first. I love a doily, and I love me some snow!



I pulled out some white card stock, my Couture Creations Doily die, a sheet of printed paper from Couture Creations Sew Jo 12x12 paper pad and got to work. 

Cut the printed paper down to 11.5 inches squared and distress the edges. Adhere this into the centre of your card stock with even edges all round. 

 
Cut your self 4-6 doily's out of white card stock. Use your Couture Creations embossing stylus to help pop all the little bits out of the centres. 

 
Squeeze out a bunch of the Crystalina Glitzin' Glamour and use a paint brush to paint this over the entire surface of your die cut Doily's. 


Pop a bunch of the Couture Creations 3D Foam Mini Dots on the backs of all your Doily's.

 
Using Glamour Days Classical die I cut one from heat shrink plastic. Don't forget to pop all the centres out and punch a hole at the top for a jump ring. Use your heat tool to shrink the plastic down to size. 


You can see that I have added a jump ring and a bead and included it in a cluster of embellishments in the bottom right corner of my layout. 



 Mat your photos and gather a small collections of embellishment together. 


I added my die cut doily's to my background paper, then added my photos over the top. To make them stand up I added two layers of the 12mm Couture Creation Foam Mounting Tape. I stuck a small Couture Creations Gem in Seaspray in the centre of each doily. 
 

 
I completed my layout by adding a small scattering of embellishments and right at the end just to finish off I stuck down some clusters of Couture Creations Pearls in Moonlight. 



I hope you like my first offering here on the Couture Creations Blog, please share if you followed along and created a layout inspired by mine. See you next time. 

Couture Creations Products used today are:

 
https://www.facebook.com/couture.creations.aus
 

Visit our Giveaway Page for details of our Giveaway 





 

You May Also Like

22 comments

Popular Posts