2015 Design Team Introducing Sue Smyth

#couturecreationsaus



Sue Smyth that’s me!

My Mother always says I was a born artist, as that was how I spent my childhood, drawing, painting and playing with clay, coming from an artistic family it wasn’t hard. After blitzing Art at school I studied Visual Communications at college, with painting, pottery drawing and sculpture my favourite creative outlets. So when I later had children I looked for something lighter and less messy to indulge in when time permitted. Paper craft was the obvious choice, starting with cards and progressing onto scrapbooking, off the page and mixed media. Since then I have been lucky enough to turn my hobby and passion into my work. I have taught at many of the leading Scrapbooking stores in Queensland for over 17 years and at TAFE. I have also designed for many design teams. I have won the Teachers/Professional scrapbooking section at the Queensland Royal National show 3 years in a row, so was asked to be the judge at the show. I teach at the Scrapbook and Craft Expo regularly and often pop up at retreats and special events. 
Now I get to use all of my experience and skills as Editor of Australian Scrapbook Ideas and Cardmaking in Easy steps. Of course I have a few exciting things still ahead of me including a cruise and a few other things I cannot share just yet. 
One thing is for sure, I love what I do and I love sharing it with others, and the best thing I get to do is inspire others to not only create, but to achieve their dreams through creating whatever that maybe.
Happy Crafting
Sue Smyth




Nothing makes a nicer gift than a mini album, and 
Today I am sharing a sweet Natures Secret album that 
can be filled with photos of your garden, pets or children


I have filled a glass vial with seed beads and crystals, then
I have cut an Edith butterfly from white cardstock
and inked the edges, curl wings and slip
into the bottle.
I have dry brushed the bottle with gesso


Add glitter to roses for a glittered/ sugared look.


Using twigs, to create a frame.  I have cut twigs
 to fit the center of the 
frame, and hot glued them in place. 



Then, cut Edith butterflies, ink edges and cover
with dimensional magic,sprinkle with white glitter.


I have smeared the rose leaves with metallic green paint
to add a fantastic sheen.

Here is a little step by step to make the covers of the 
mini album. 


Trim chipboard to 11 x 15 cm panels 


Roughly trim paper to fit covers with a  generous 
overlap. Adhere paper to chipboard with a dry glue
stick or double sided tape.
Cut corners as pictured.


Fold in parallel ends and adhere with double sided
tape. 


A little tip, fold or crease the edge of the overlap with your 
fingernail, for a neat finish. 
This will avoid the doggie ears look.


Cover both chipboard panels.


Ink edges of covers, and emboss cream cardstock
with Hearts Ease Frame embossing folder.
Trim out the center, ink edges too.


Measure patterned paper to fit in the frame.


Adhere to cover, tucking die cut Simone's Style ornamental lace border die cut
underneath.


Use foam tape to adhere frame. This leaves 
a neat recess to nestle the specimen vial, twig frame
and flowers.

I have also painted the raised areas of the cover 
with a metallic
green and pink water colour paint, for added definition.

Then cut out as many panels of cream cardstock as you like
measuring 21 x 14.5 cms, fold in half, ink edges and 
adhere together to form the centre of the book.

Glue covers to book sandwiching inked seam
binding in between.

Materials 


Happy Crafting all ! 
and don't forget to enter our  






You May Also Like

9 comments

Popular Posts